CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 27, 2006

Daily Life in Dnipropetrovs’k (i.e. Siberia)

We are “living” about 30 minutes from the city center of Dnipropetrovs’k in an area that looks like the ghetto. But, it is deceiving as the insides of these apartments are really nice. But it is funny how there is nothing, then all of a sudden a bunch of apartment buildings, with little booth markets all around. As with the rest of Ukraine, you have to go to several places before you get all you need. But, we have lucked out – we have a “micro Wal-Mart”. It has a food store, bank, deli, clothes, etc – so we have all decided we like it because it feels a little like home. The area we are in is blanketed by snow and forests – and just feels like Siberia. There is a restaurant we go to and it sits off by itself and just reminds us of old Russia. This café has live music every night from 7 to midnight. Yeehaw! I think not – they are horrible and loud. We have decided not to eat there anymore at night. Actually it is good Ukrainian food, just bad music.

The internet cafes here are horrible. Any time of day we go, kids are playing games. Speaking of which, I had a moment on Sunday (2/12) at the internet café. I lost it. The access was slow. People were smoking – although no smoking signs were up, and I was trying to print one of the documents the prosecutor thinks I need (though no where else these documents are required). Anyway, it wouldn’t print and the guy was trying to print – and I thought he was reading the document – so I went off on him and his internet store. I even said some very ugly words. Ooops. Mother just buried her head. Anyway, I felt bad – he finally got the document to print. Then, there was an error on it and he had to change some words and reprint. He did it kindly. When we left, I offered him some extra money for his troubles and my yelling – but he wouldn’t take it. (A first in Ukraine) I finally after a few minutes got him to take it – but I felt horrible.
I am amazed I haven’t done worse yet. I am seriously sick of this place and want to be home. I bet my dog forgets who I am. Again – I digress……..

Back to Zoey. I love that child. She is getting very secure with me. Lets me give her kisses, she lays her head on my shoulder, she cries when she has to go back to groupa. I just can’t get enough of her. I hate leaving her at that place. The other kids are jealous and hit her and push her cause she has a momma now. She came out with scratches on her face the other day – they told me the other kids did it. I hate to think they are mean to my baby.

For Valentine’s Day I bought the kids some cookies and fruits and the caregivers some chocolate. The caregivers were so excited. Silly me – I was caught up in the fact I have to go Kiev to the American Embassy for paperwork – that I forgot to get Zoey something.
Oh well, her birthday this year will be the biggest bash ever!

Until I blog again……..Dasvedunya!

0 comments: