That means the snow has melted. WE ARE IN KIEV!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I’d be so happy to see a city again. (even if it is in Ukraine) Village life is not for me. I don’t even mind that stupid hill – as we are in the same apartment as we were in January. I guess I will recap the last few days for you.
The 10 day wait was by far the slowest time in this whole trip. We passed the time by visiting Zoey each day and staring at the walls. And, talking with all the families who are awaiting court dates.
On Monday the 20th we spent the day getting ready for the birth certificate and passport. We also had Zoey’s going away party. I cried a little. I know it is a happy time – but these ladies appear to love these kids and I know they loved Zoey.
I didn’t sleep at all on Monday night – worried about getting that court decree. So – fast forward to Tuesday the 21st. It was a busy and big day. We get to courthouse around 8am to pick up our decree. We were suppose to review the final copy on Monday – but after a 4 hour wait – were told we could look at it when we picked it up. Oye. So, around 9:30am – the judge told us we could have the decree at 10:00am. Which technically was 11:30. Then, there were errors. OUCH! I almost got sick. I started getting a migraine. If there are any errors, there is an imposed 5-day wait period to correct and rebind the decree. However, this was our lucky day. We took the decree and told the judge the errors and prepared for the worst. She looked at her watch and said – I have time – I will correct them myself. So, she corrected all but 2 of the errors. Then, made a few more. (don’t ask) We finally got the correct version of the decree at nearly 2pm. We had to be so many places before 5pm – and we almost made it – but the legalization office would not wait for us. At 5pm we went to the orphanage to check out Zoey. To my chagrin, the passport office called and said we had to have the birth certificate notarized before they would issue a passport since the legalization of documents did not occur. So, my translator and car left me at the orphanage to get Zoey.
So, we said our goodbyes (I cried when I took her from orphanage, cried when I said bye to other families waiting, cried when her caregivers cried, it was an emotional day) – and had to walk through the forest to get home. Actually, Zoey got a ride on my hip. Linda was surprised to see us as they told us we would have to wait until documents were legalized before we could have her. So, at 4pm I told Linda we would have to wait. Then, showed up with her at 5:45pm. Found out right quick the apartment we were staying in was not kid friendly. She opened every cabinet, touched every knick-knack. Kid could not be left alone for 2 seconds.
Zoey did really well. I cursed the time I had to stay in Dnipropetrovs’k – but it really did give Zoey time to bond with me. She is really attached to me. (My mother thinks too much as she will not go to anyone else now – whereas before she just held out her hands for anyone. She is constantly asking where her mama is and making sure she has an eye on me at all times) She went to bed around 8:30am – but not without a fight. She screamed and cried for 30 minutes till she wore herself out. Then, at 3am – she woke up ready to go. And, would not go back to sleep. She played, sung, touched everything again. (at this point – I was on 7 hours of sleep in the last two days) She finally laid down at around 5am – but was up again for good at 6am.
Did she take a nap – no. She was too busy being excited she had escaped the orphanage. She got a catnap in the stroller to lunch – maybe 30 minutes. I tried to get her to nap after lunch – but after crying and screaming for an hour – no go. So, we left for the train around 3:30pm. She did really well in the car. And, at the train station. We got on the train – she did good for about an hour – then was very tired. After crying for a long time and fighting the sleep urge – she gave in at 7pm. However, our train arrived at Kiev at 11pm – which meant we had to wake her – which meant she thought she was up for play. Oye. We got to the apartment around midnight – and she had to explore. At a little after 1am – I finally got her to sleep – along with myself. That kid has a set of lungs – so much my ears throb when she screams.
Today we went to get her medical exam – tomorrow the embassy. Naptime today was the same. She is just having adjustment issues – that hopefully will resolve when we get home and she is in the same bed every day. Poor little thing has from a strict schedule to chaos. Her sleeping, eating, playing and caregivers have changed – as has her whole life in 2 short days. I do thank God she feels safe with me – else things might be worse.
As we were leaving Dnipro last night, I got such a lump in my throat and tears. We were leaving my baby’s home. And I know we will not be going back there anytime soon. Although I have had a rough time in Ukraine – I do not hate the place. I hate the ways of the country. But, if they were like the US – we would not be over here adopting these wonderful children.
Unless something unexpected occurs – we will be home this Saturday. I am honestly beside myself as I guess in my mind I was resigned to the fact that Ukraine was going to start making adoptive parents LIVE in Ukraine to be able to adopt them. : ) I just did not think I would ever get home. I know it is only 3 months – but they were the longest 3 months I have known.
I am so unprepared for this child at home. I don’t have anything for her (high chair, car seat, monitors, clothes, you name it) except love. : )
Also, in one of my blogs I whined about getting a special favor from God. Well, I already know I got it. Zoey. I love that little girl more than I thought a person could love someone. Today – the 90 days seem so distant.
I will post more photos and update from home when I get there. Until then – get ready to meet the most wonderful child God ever created. (for me anyway) : )
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
3 comments:
Yeah Jennifer!
You MADE IT!
Can't wait to see the homecoming pictures!
Congrats again!
Amy
I can't believe you're not going to spend a couple extra days in Kiev so you can sightsee with Zoey - NOT! GET HOME!!!! I'll call you tomorrow - last time I'll be able to phone you in Ukraine - THANK GOD!! You are right - she is a miracle baby. I'm so thankful that we were able to be along for just a part of the ride. We love you guys. You may not have a high chair and a monitor - but you've got EVERYTHING that Zoey really needs!! XOXOXOXOOXOOX Kim & Mark (actually Mark in in DC with 200 8th graders!!!! He is actually having a great time - I talked to him tonight to tell him you guys are in Kiev!)
We are so happy for you Jennifer! You have done it and this part of your story is just about over and another beginning. I can't wait to hear all about your homecoming and see pictures. It is going to be one exciting time for all of you. Good luck and hopefully you will get some much needed sleep in your own bed real soon.
Lisa and Rich
Post a Comment