CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 01, 2006

April 1 - ONE WEEK HOME

It is Saturday April 1 - one week home!! And it is 7:20am and Zoey is still asleep. I was able to get a luxury shower this morning. (i.e. – I shaved and got to use soap) Now, if I can get this silly dog on the same schedule – we are in business. I am primary caregiver to a toddler and a dog – who knew they would be somewhat similar. (crud – as I write this – Spencer is barking meaning Zoey will awake soon – gotta type fast)
1) they get up early and want food
2) they are jealous of each other and both want my attention (uh – there is one of me – you both have to share – no biting the other please)
3) they follow my every move (I have learned to crawl up the stairs so Zoey can’t see me when she is in bed – if she does – it is over for me (am I a bad mama or what?))
4) did I mention they get up early?

Zoey is adjusting well for the most part. Three big problem areas are naps, eating and the dog. (it is 7:40am and she is still asleep – this is huge – we usually get up between 5:45 and 6:15 – which makes for a long day) She fights the nap kicking and screaming, literally. (that of which she did not take yesterday which is why she is probably still asleep) But, twice now she did not nap and there was hell to pay at around 5pm. Bedtime at night is so easy - I just bathe her and she dries off, brings me a book to read, then gets in bed. I love it! Also, we love to kick, bite, hit, and pinch the dog. (who just takes it laying down) We are working on “loving” the dog (i.e. kisses and petting). So when I am watching and she knows it – she puts on a display of kissing and petting the dog, but if she thinks I am not watching – she pinches, hits or bites him. Also, if he jumps in my lap – she gets jealous and grits those teeth at him – then proceeds to be mean to him. Oye…..

I saw what they fed her at the orphanage (soup, oatmeal, bread) – and she ate like there was no tomorrow. NOW – she snubs everything. Miss Priss thinks we are serving filet mignon here at Casa Hanks – how wrong she is. Mama is almost vegetarian – the only meat we have here is chicken. I cooked a good meal last night and she did eat it all – plus more. (it was balsamic chicken with carrots, bell peppers and asparagus (which she loves)) Maybe she knows she hit the jackpot and doesn’t have to eat those foods from the orphanage days anymore? Who knows. I am proud of her and Spencer for sharing. He let her take food from his bowl (to which she said yuk) and she throws hers on the floor since she found out he camps out right under her highchair and will eat anything.

The last few days in Kiev were busy but mostly uneventful. The plane ride home is another story. On the 3.5 hour trip from Kiev to London – Zoey slept from the time we taxied until 20 minutes later. Then – she was up screaming and crying. They say it takes a village to raise a child – well it takes the first 12 rows of a 737 to shut a kid up mid-flight. Everyone got tired of listening to her – so they just passed her around. She racked up on snacks too!

Then, came the long flight from London to Dallas. This child had only had the 20 minute nap ---- again it takes a 767 and the first 18 rows, plus all the flight attendants taking her when they had breaks to shut her up. She was a terror. Everyone started coming up to me and asking could they hold her. At first, the flight attendants thought I was a bad mother who could not control her child – then one of them was talking to her and I said – she does not really understand you – she was just adopted from Ukraine and knows Russian. Then – she spread the news and everyone had to come visit. Everyone on the plane knew the little screaming girl in 10G was just adopted. When I walked her to back of plane – people were saying “hello Zoey”. Also – mid-flight – the pilot came and welcomed everyone and especially Zoey from Ukraine. It was funny. When we landed – the pilot came on and said “Ladies and Gentlemen – welcome to the USA and Dallas, TX and a very special welcome to the USA and your new home to Zoey”…of course I cried. Thank God we were finally on US soil (won’t be leaving this country for a while!!!!). I even met a man in first class, who told me the story of him being adopted and how he thought what I did was awesome (we talked for over an hour) --- he called this week to see how things were going and ask me out! This kid is a man magnet!!!!!

Thanks to Gary, Josh and Joseph Ford and Chris Hoegee for meeting me at the airport. It was so nice to see some groupies there. I had family and friends meet as well – and were thankful to see them too!

Zoey is picking up the language so fast. She understands everything I ask her to do. And, she is saying bye-bye, thank you, get (a command to Spencer when he takes a toy or her snacks), mama, give, shoes, no, etc. It is so cute to see her pick up speech so easily given she was labeled as speech delayed. She is learning leaps and bounds and I am so proud of her. (Did I mention she is so smart? She really is!)

She has also taken to my brother very well. They have offered to keep her tomorrow so I can do my taxes, sort the mail, clean the house, etc. I took them up on it! Score!

Just thinking back on what I have been through – Ukraine seems so distant. Everyone said I would forget everything I went through, and really I have. I love this little girl. I know how extremely blessed I am to have gotten a little girl so young and so healthy. Never could I have imagined what a perfect child God set aside for me. I hope those in waiting are as blessed as me in finding a perfect child for them. I will say it again – Ukraine is not for sissies. Patience and endurance are a must. Everyone’s adoption is different, but the country politics and the corruption remain the same. Hopefully with the new administration to take place in May things will get better.

Also, when I got home – I was going through my emails to Cathy. The first time I contacted her was May 22, 2004. I sent her an email and asked about the process and if she could send me information. Zoey’s birthday is May 22, 2004.

I will load some photos from home later. Just wanted to update everyone on the last week.

1 comments:

Suz said...

Jennifer, I just stumbled upon your blog and am so happy for you and Zoey. When you told the part about the pilot welcoming Zoey I just lost it! Okay, I am so curious ... did you go out with the plane guy???