CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 23, 2006

March 9 – I AM OFFICIALLY A MOM

Hallelujah – Praise God! What a difference a day makes. Yes – you read right. I went to court today – my preliminary hearing was at 11am. There was a court hearing before mine with a Spanish couple who was on court #5. They had more problems (please pray for this couple – they are wonderful people and don’t deserve what they are going through) and on top of that – the jurors were tired of the judge’s shenanigans so they decided to leave. Which meant, my court could not start until they found more jurors. But, the judge went out and found 2 jurors (they worked at the courthouse) and we started around 11:15. We had the preliminary hearing – which lasted about 20 minutes. Then, my translator applied for the real court – and the judge said “why not”. So, at 11:55 we started my “real” court. Everything we heard about this judge was horrible, and some of the questions she asked were weird – but for the most part there was no trouble. The only thing that came up was an address was misspelled – an “o” instead of an “a” in one of the documents – but the prosecutor told her it was a technical mistake as the “o” was handwritten. The court erupted into a battle zone for a few minutes – but that was it. From my experience – my court was long (nearly 5 hours) – but not bad at all. At times – the jurors fell asleep – which I thought was kind of funny. My court ended around 3:40 – but not before the judge had to decide twice if she would grant custody. As she read the statement – and I realized what she was saying – I started crying. This child is now mine. My translator was so nervous all day – to the extent she was driving me crazy with bombardment of questions the judge “may” ask. None of which she did. For the most part – as I mentioned in the previous blog – I just felt defeated. I.e. – I let go. When will I learn?

I cried a couple a times during court when they were talking about how no-one had visited or wanted Zoey. That is so hard to hear. I want this child – I wanted her since she was born. It was as if she were an object and not a child. I have never met Zoey’s biological mother – but I will forever be grateful to her. I will pray for her every night that she knows this child is loved, cared for and happy.

I went to see Zoey after court – and all the caregivers had already heard. They hugged me and were jumping up and down. They said they were sad – but so happy for Zoey. That will be a hard day when I take her from the orphanage.

I have sat here trying to decide if I should post the blog I was writing over the last few days. I have decided I will post as that was what was occurring to me over the last week. To see how down I was over the last few days – to this miracle that was granted to me today. A miracle only God could have orchestrated. Why am I so hardheaded?

If all goes as planned – we pick up the court decree on March 21. Get her passport and birth certificate – then leave for Kiev on the 22nd. Hopefully we can get the medical exam and embassy trip for her visa on the 23rd and leave to come home on the 24th-25th- or 26th – depending on the airlines. More prayers for a quick trip home!!!!

March 10 – The Day After
I went to upload my blog today – and a new person was tending the internet café and he would not let me upload the blog. I will just keep updating until I the regular guy back.

I arrived at the orphanage today only to get sad news. After my court, there were two couples waiting for court. The Spanish couple – to finish their court, and an American couple who was on their third court attempt. I found out the American couple “had more problems” and was not granted custody, and the Spanish couple was told to come back next week because it was so late when the American couple finished. Both couples will have court on next Tuesday. The Spanish couple started their adoption in October – and they are still having problems. For both couples – their problems are with the birth mother search (or so they are told). It is craziness.

All day – I felt so horrible as I knew the American couple had court at 1pm. And, during breaks I spoke with them and knew they were stressed that my court would go too long and they would get put off again. I got such a stress migraine yesterday because I knew we were going so long. I felt horrible. And still do. But, I realize there was nothing I could do.

I am so thankful to God for the miracle He granted me. No one has ever had just one court in this courthouse. The director of the orphanage called my translator and asked what “special” did she do as this had never happened. We did nothing but pray. No thank you’s were given. No begging. Just God and his mighty mercy that he softened this judges heart for approximately 5 hours.

Oddly enough – two new couples came to the orphanage yesterday afternoon and this morning and they had already heard my story. All the translators are wanting my translator’s phone number so they can know what she did. She even told them “we prayed to God”! There are now approximately 10 adopting parents here at our orphanage. Several are single women – and like me – they only got one referral – and it was at this orphanage. We are like one big family and have become so close through the ordeals of court. I will really miss these new friends but we all have plans to keep in touch. Though this has been tough – it has been a great visiting with everyone at play and snack time.

Zoey is a handful. We are trying to prepare ourselves for the plane ride. She is a nosy little girl and a busy body. She goes to everyone else’s play area rather than staying in hers and playing with her toys. She goes to take everyone else’s food and toys. And, she hates being told no. My mom is getting a kick out of me chasing this kid all over the orphanage. Today – I took her back to her groupa – and she started kicking and screaming and trying to get me to take her. When I said no – I have to go – she dropped on the floor and did the kick and scream episode. I don’t know what that caregiver said – but it was stern and she stopped on a dime. I have to find that out before I leave. Anyway – after they took her away – the caregiver came back and told me I needed to spank her. Anyway – I got a kick out of how she communicated this to me. “Mama” – as she took her hand and swatted the backside of another caregiver and said “Mama – to Rada” – she kept doing it till I said hradashol. (OK) Of course, I am not going to spank her – we will do time outs soon enough.

Well, that’s all for now. Hopefully I will be in Dallas soon! I am counting down the days!

0 comments: