I really don’t have any interesting news – but just thought I’d let everyone know we are still hanging out in Kiev. Trying to stay (or even act like we are) busy. What, between all the naps, puzzles, movies, and computer games – we barely have time to eat. : )
Something we really aren’t use to - having to go the market at least every other day. They don’t do bulk here and packing is designed for everyone to shop daily. For example, when we buy bread – it lasts a day or two – then you start seeing mold on it or it goes very hard. There is a market about a quarter mile up the hill – and they cook foods for take away. BUT, everything is seasoned with dill. Now, at first – I was like – you are kidding me – dill on the chicken, dill on the potatoes, dill on the salad, dill on the bread, beans, everything. Wouldn’t you know I have acquired a taste for it. Now, I am trying to analyze everything from there and break down the ingredients so I can make when I get home. I am loving the potatoes with dill. I could live off them alone.
I woke today with a migraine – so we stayed in all day. I got up at noon – then napped from 2 to 6 – now here I am wide awake as usual. Bogdan came over tonight and we worked on some L2O stuff. Nice having him right here to work on it together rather than 50 emails back and forth.
I wrote about this via email to some of you. But, Linda and I have a phone stalker. The first time it happened – after the 3rd or 4th call – I got angry. We’d take the phone off the hook, but local people tried calling and we had to put it back. She just kept calling so mummy thought we could “make her go away with kindness” – FATCHANCE. Now she starts calling around 8am each day. She speaks English and Russian. She likes to sing (sometimes she tells us she is Britney Spears, sometimes her mother is Britney) so I have started singing along with her. It cracks mother up. For a day, I only spoke to her in French, but that kind of made her mad. She kept slamming the phone down on me – by the way – we guess she is between 9 and 12 years old – out of school with nothing to do. Mariana is her name – calling Americans and asking them where they live and what they do is her game. Tomorrow – I am pulling out the 50 Cent on her!
I am getting tidbits of news about the NAC – but nothing to post until I know it is not a rumor. Don’t want to get hopes up or down, and don’t want to spread news that is not confirmed.
I am going to be hanging out this weekend at Orphanage 12 – see the kids on their Christmas day. Then, meet up with the Vocational Students (older kids released from O12) to have a pizza party with them. These kids are so amazing – they overcome such adversity to try and live a normal life in a country not designed to support them. I wish I could do more – but for right now – my focus is on the adoption.
So, most of you probably have read about Russia cutting off the natural gas to Ukraine – as sort of some power struggle. Well, about 3 nights ago, we noticed it was getting colder – but the weather really hadn’t changed. Bogdan told us that everyone in the city was required to cut their gas usage by certain percentages or be fined. Linda and I are freezing. Some nights I am so cold I can’t sleep. Burrrrrrrr.
God love this country. Other than the extra money we are incurring and lack of much to do (a lot is closed for holidays) – it really isn’t that bad here. I would rather be in my own bed with my baby sleeping in hers – but that is not God’s plan right now. But, without saying too much……[this part of the blog will require you to read between the lines]. Certain products (we’ll just use an example of software) that might cost $800 in the US – can be bought still in the wrapper for $3 – and be perfectly usable. I am telling you – this is not stuff bought on the side of the street – it is bought in a computer store – all legit with a receipt. I found this out today when a friend purchased me a much needed item. They have everything…… So, in a couple of days, we are going shopping.
OK – when I have more news – or I get my conscience back – I will write more.
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment