Friday
Curse that never-ending hill. I have decided I can live off cokes and m&ms and be just fine. If we want restaurants – have to go wayyyyyyy down the hill - then all the way back up. If we go to market – it is opposite way up the hill. So, I have decided food is not that important. Lest you think this is some little molehill – it is not. I guess what makes it harder is a -8 wind chill all the way up the hill whipping in my face.
Besides the hill, my other major gripe is bath-time. It is so cold here. And, with the cut in gas, we are losing heat and hot water each day. So, taking a bath is a chore in and of itself. Shaving is out. Although I do shave lest you think I am growing hairy over here. But, it is so painful. And, in an apartment that is cold, with lukewarm water at best – I might start doing smell-checks to decide if a bath is really necessary. : ) When in Rome……
Today we went to Independence Square and saw the national Christmas tree and 500 santas. It was very nice. Mother was excited because last year she watched the elections and revolution on TV and was excited to see it live! They had pony and horse rides for the kids and little sleighs everywhere – it was cute. We then went to an Italian place for dinner where I got some uncooked chicken. Then, got a little stomach ache. Hey – at least it didn’t have the bird flu (to best of my knowledge).
Saturday
Today I went to the countryside with Bogdan. We went back to the O12 camp. We got up early and decided to take mass transportation (last time we hired a car at $50 to take us – but that was mainly because mummy didn’t want to try the metro). Anyway, today I was wishing for that car. At 6:45 this morning it was -10 with windchill – and walking 4 miles in that is almost illegal. Anyhoo – it was good to see the kids. They are so awesome! I know I have said it before – but I just want to take them all home. I got back to the apartment (not without having to climb 20 flights of stairs) around 4pm. Since I did not sleep the night before, I was very tired. Went to bed at 6:30pm – and woke when Mariana called at 2am this morning.
I bet you all think I am lazy – but I am not. But two forms of exercise I loathe are hills and stairs. Hate em! Yet here I am - facing them daily. Mom wanted food tonight – I told her in all I did over 10 miles today – I was not walking down that hill. Ate my m&ms and went to bed! Of course now, at 4am – my stomach is growling.
Sunday
We went to eat at Friday’s. (see Friday for my whining about the hill – curse that hill) I managed to go back to bed at 5am – then got up at noonish today. Sleeping my time in Ukraine away. That’s one way to make it go faster. I did pig out tonight though. So, I am fully set for at least a day now. Except, being full and walking that hill is worse. There is just nothing good about that hill.
Tonight I was entering my receipts in my spreadsheet for tracking costs here in UA. It came to about $30 per person for the 16 days we have been here. Not including apartment rent which would make it about $55 per person. Mummy is so excited about that – as she says Rachel Ray says $40 is what you should spend on food alone a day when you travel. We have that beat. Ours includes cell phones, internet, TP, lotions, my cokes and m&ms!!!!! She proposes we start our on TV show – and for kicks – I am going to add “cooking with dill”!
Just another cold, dreary day in my daughter’s homeland. Prayerfully, I will have an appointment this coming week and get to go pick her up! Thanks to each of you who send me encouraging emails and phone calls. That means so much to me. I thought I was going to be over here whining because no one cared about me and my wait or cancelled appointment. I am truly touched by the kindness of each of you! I will update this week after I know what the new AC is going to do. Dusveedunya!
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment