We are majorly bored. I have mastered solitaire and become a pinball wizard! Although, we went to St. Sophia’s on Tuesday with one of the graduate students from Orphanage 12. He was a hoot. His name was Maksim – and he was the cutest thing. Had red hair and blue eyes – I wanted to take him home. Then, that night, we went to some friends we met through Bogdan. Sergey and Natasha. They cooked a Ukrainian feast for us. It was so awesome. They had a lovely home and we had a good time visiting with them.
Monday and Tuesday I was really depressed. No appointment in sight for another week or so. It is getting tiring over here – and we really aren’t doing much. We shop, sightsee, and fight a little – then hugs and kisses and go to bed. We have watched all the movies we brought – I didn’t bring that many. Little did I know… The only news we get is from the US embassy. One day it is encouraging, the next day not so encouraging. Basically, we are going to be here in Kiev another week to 15 days at least.
We have one English speaking channel – BBC World. They replay the same news at the top of each hour. I told mother if I hear Turkey is going to be kicked out of the EU for the spread of bird flu – one more time – I will scream.
Every map I have picked up has advertisement sections for American men looking for Ukrainian wives (i.e. slaves of the domestic and “relations” sort). I had a lengthy debate about this with my friend Bogdan. He agrees with me as to how sick and disgusting this is. Especially when a large percentage of these girls are the ones that have just been released from the orphanage and have no where to go. They get promises of a better life from these “agencies”, which take advantage of them and abuse them, basically selling them in the human sex trade. It all looks so innocent, but really it is a sick business. If someone makes an educated decision to go into this “trade” on their own – more power to them and good luck in America. But, for those that truly have no way – which is where most of these girls come from – I really feel sorry for them. Ok – I will get off my soapbox.
Thursday we went shopping for books. I got my baby some Russian and Ukrainian books. I am going to try to find some more but I was only successful at finding 2 bookstores. I really want to find a bookstore with some recipes that might be in English for all these salads that are made here. They are so good. We have taken to walking different routes these days. After 21 days – it all looks the same.
Today – Friday – we got out again – and I found a children’s bookstore – and got some more cool books.
This weekend – I am hanging out with the graduate students from Orphanage 12 here in Kiev. Should be fun. Each month they have a meeting and are required to attend. They help do work around the orphanage and report back to Bogdan on their progress. In return, they get to apply for sponsors from the US through our L2O organization for trade school. (mechanic, sewing, chef, etc) It is a really good program and these kids are so cool. Since the government does not really help them, it gives them a start into the world.
Also, some more Americans are coming for their court – so we are meeting up with them this weekend. Gonna be a busy weekend.
Other than that – not much going on. No appointment in sight. But, the news is getting better. Will keep you all posted.
PLEA: If anyone has any scoop at all - send it our way. The only news we get is from daddy and he tells us about people we don't know (i.e. from his job). So, we know not to ask him about current events back home.
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment