CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 30, 2005

AND THIS TOO SHALL PASS....................

BUT NOT WITHOUT A 30-DAY WAIT! As with any international adoption, the risk is high, mine is no different. So, I went back to the NAC today (got one of those frantic calls - get over here now) and was basically told the new administration would be in place on January 9. They will reassign appointments beginning January 10. I was told my appointment could be January 15 or February 1 or someday in between. Meanwhile, I was told I had two choices. 1) stay in the country and be given first chance when appointments are assigned, or 2) go home and maybe have to come back March/April/May. So, I signed an affidavit that I was not leaving the country in hopes I could get an appointment as soon as they are assigned. This is the prayer we are praying for - first available appointment. ASAP.

As you all can imagine, this is going to be one costly little adoption. Our apartment is $55 a night - you can do the math. Plus other necessities. This child better be rocking me when I am at the old people home!!!! : ) I guess I should thank God that I have the time off - and means to complete the adoption. I might have to go unpaid up-front - but I think I can make it. My vacation pay runs out on Feb. 15 - then I have to go unpaid. The company will not pay maternity leave until I actually have a kid. That goes for FMLA time as well. So, I am stressed about being without medical or other benefits. And, being away from home this long.
Linda and I went exploring today and saw the first McDonald’s here in Kiev. I remember reading someone else’s blog before and they ate at a different McD’s everyday. We won’t be doing that. OYE.......

What else? I can tell everyone about the half pint of cherries I paid $20 for? Go ahead and laugh. Here, once you touch something - it is yours or you get yelled at. Well, I saw some gorgeous cherries and told Linda I had to have them. I touched the ones I wanted - she said here is price - I said NO - she yelled and told me they were mine - so, long story short, we are savoring every last one of those cherries. DOH!

Funny thing - I met the director of the NAC today and she was very nice. But, at one point she yelled at a Spanish couple. So, I saw her mean side. It was kind of rude. Then, she went back to smiling - since the new director was in tow. He seems nice......we will see. Also, she gave a pitch about how sorry she was that the adoption process was being halted, it was not the fault of the NAC - they were innocent in this and they just want to find these children homes. Whatever..........

So, it looks like I will be in Kiev for a while. With my four shirts and 3 pair of pants. If anyone wants to visit, let us know and we will greet you with open arms.

0 comments: