CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

What is the REAL harm?

OK -- I need guidance. Other's thoughts. Someone to tell me to get over it. Or, some reason as to why Zoey needs to sleep in her own bed. Here is the deal. Zoey slept in her bed with no problems until last Christmas -- right about the time we got back from Ukraine. Of course in Ukraine - we slept together every night of the 12 days we were there. We came home - she slept in her bed fine. Then, my parents took her to a Christmas light display - and there was a Grinch display there. She was terrified. That is the reason she says she needed to sleep with me. At the old house - she said he looked at her through the window. (on 2nd floor - and my bedroom was just down the hall) Since then --- I fight with her every night to get her out of my bed. At the new house - her bedroom is upstairs and mine is down. She usually waits for me to go to bed - then comes down and gets in my bed. I was walking her back upstairs for a long time. But, she'd come right back down. Then, repeat. I'd do this 3 or 4 times a night --- then I'd get tired of it. We were both suffering from lack of sleep. The interruptions were causing me to lose a lot of sleep --- cause I have trouble going back to sleep once I am up.

I am to the point where I am tired of fighting it. This last week ---I said to heck with it --- and just put her in my bed to start with. Here are my observations.

1) She goes right to sleep. If I put her in her bed, she comes down stairs, needs water, needs kisses, hugs, to pee, to tell the dogs goodnight, etc. You get the drift. It takes her like an hour to go to sleep. There was a lot of yelling going on with this method.

2) She gets more sleep. Her bedtime is 8pm. She was waking as soon as it hit daylight and basically getting about 7 to 8 hours of sleep. And, was a holy terror. At school, at home, etc. When she sleeps in my bed. She goes to sleep at 8pm --- and has been sleeping till like 8:30 or 9am. THAT IS HUGE. She has never done that.

3) Her behavior is more tolerable as she is not so tired. She doesn't act out. But, she wakes up wanting to know if she can sleep in my bed all night again the upcoming night. It seems to occupy her every thought. She is so worried she will have to sleep in her bed. She asks me about it on the way to school, on the way home, during dinner, after dinner --- it is a constant thought for her.

So what is my problem? She isn't the greatest sleeper. She gets very restless and thrashes during the night and it drives me crazy. Though I have to admit --- since she has been in there the whole night -- it is subsiding. I have a sleeper couch - she won't sleep on it. It is beside my bed. She says my bed is very comfortable. (and it is) Also, I don't want her sleeping with me forever. My parents tell me all the time I slept with them till I was 16. But, I didn't - though I remember being about 8 to 10 and slipping into their room. Be that as it may --- I don't want her to repeat my bad habit.

OK - what does everyone else think. Am I being too uptight? She is 4. I'd like her in her own bed. I am not married or cohabitating. Of course, I still have hope God is going to drop a man in on me someday - so I don't want her there when it finally does happen. :) So, what is the harm? I know it is a security thing with her --- I can tell by the way she sleeps that she feels very secure in my bed. I thought by having Jasmin upstairs with her --- she'd feel better about being upstairs --- but she doesn't.

Also, Jasmin is doing well. She is starting to make friends. She is warming up to Zoey and being a lot more interactive and helpful with her. Some days I want to ship her home (she is a teenage you know) --- but mostly she is a keeper. Really helpful around the house and good sense of humor.

BTW --- My contract company found me work --- so I start on Monday 10/27 working on projects. It is project based work --- which is fine by me --- and the first project lasts for 4 weeks. I just hope they find me continuous work and I can keep it up. I know a lot of you have prayed and I have felt the prayers --- thank you so much!

Happy Halloween.

6 comments:

Jill said...

That's a tough one. I know at this age, they are very prone to nightmares and this is the classic age when they think a shadow is a monster. Annabel has recently started having occasional nightmares and waking up in the middle of the night calling out for me. I just go into her room and hug her for a few minutes and she's usually ok to go back to sleep.

We have a "fairy godmother" on the shelf in her room, which is a teddy bear with wings wearing a pink dress. I put it there to "watch over her and protect her" at night. When she tells me she's scared of the monster etc, I tell her that her fairy godmother is protecting her. She often asks if she can hug and kiss the fairy godmother before bed and then I put it back on the shelf. I really think it helps her feel secure.

She has asked me if she can sleep in the bed with me but I never let her. I didn't want her to think it was OK anytime and also I can't sleep because of her snoring.

Zoey sounds like she is having a very real and chronic issue with nightmares/night terrors and you may need to do more (then a fairy godmother) to make her feel comfortable in her room again. I do think she (and you) would be better off if she slept in her own room. Have you asked her why she doesn't like her bedroom? It would be interesting to hear what she has to say.

If it were me I'd get advice from a therapist or her doctor as she is so terrified. Poor baby. I hope you find a happy solution.

Good luck with your new job.

junglemama said...

At four I would not make too big of a deal, btw I have a bio son that is exactly like your daughter. I 99% of the time start by putting him in his bed. He always asks if he could come to my bed in the middle of the night when he wakes up. I always reassure him that he can. If he wants to get up before he falls asleep for a drink or to go potty or something, I tell him that tomorrow he has to go to bed a half hour earlier. When I actually do this the next day he realizes that I mean business and doesn't get up anymore. Just sharing what I do. :)

Amy said...

HI Jenn!
Hmmmmmm... thankfully, I have other problems! haha!
Who really knows what goes on in these little Ukie minds... her trip to Ukraine "could" have something to do with it - yet it is probably something that she does not understand... If her problem is falling asleep - have you tried Melatonin? I was EXTREMEMLY skeptical, until I tried it myself... maybe a really small dose will help her fall asleep in her own bed?
There could be power struggles going on as well... she knows that your world "revolves" (hehe - gotta love that!) around her... and yes - she is probably really comfortable in your bed...
Trying to incent her to sleep in her own bed might be the ticket... let her pick out some new sheets or a pillowcase, pajamas or something to start - then work each day to see if she can stay in her room longer.

Maybe one of those relaxation cd's or water machines would help her relax more.... Is she still napping during the day?

Take care!
Amy

Unknown said...

my humble opinion is that all efforts should be made to have her in her own bed if they are reasonable. obviously attachment comes before being in her own bed at 4 years old... and going back to ukraine may have "jogged" something in that little head of hers... you just can't know the entire picture because she's too young to fully explain it.

is it possible for you to switch rooms with the other girl and that way you'd be upstairs with Zoey? that may help her a lot, being a "big girl" but knowing you're close by. perhaps you could try staying in her room while she falls asleep, or even camping out and sleeping there for a week or so, allowing her to readjust, as long as you can show you mean business & not allow it to turn into a slumber party that keeps both of you awake a lot longer than it should. if you have baby monitors, perhaps you could show her how to talk into one in her room and if she really needs you or is afraid, she can talk into it so you can hear and come to her - that way you SHOW her you're there, she still gets that comfort and reassurance, but she's also in her own room.

OR... THE AWARD METHOD!!! :-P
one other approach could be to use nights in your bed as a reward. you could talk to her and tell her that if she sleeps through the night in her own bed for x nights, she gets to spend a whole night with you. you can decide if that's consecutive nights or just keep a running count (the count might be easier to start with). of course there are exceptions - being sick, having a really hard time with something, and DEFINITELY if not letting her be there is affecting her attachment to you. it's up to you as a mother to determine if she's bonded to you enough to know the things your biological child would know. that plays a huge role in how you handle this. it's probably BEST to either let her be there or not - rather than caving in during the night - because she may start testing your authority in other areas. but, again, ONLY YOU know your daughter personally and what she can or cannot handle right now. :-)

Kimbell and Mark said...

Aw - sleep deprivation causes moms to do crazy things- so I'd suggest doing what you can so that you can get a great night's sleep. ANd not just for you - for Zoey too! When Carter was a little guy he went through this too - we started telling him he could come in a get a hug and kiss but if he wanted to sleep in our room he'd have to get out his sleeping bag and sleep on the floor by our bed. THen in morning, he'd have to get up a little earlier so he could roll it up and put it away - eventually he decided it was better to just stay in his own bed. A friend at work was having trouble with her son sleeping - and he started sleeping with a wooden snake and now feels "protected." This is such a common problem - you'll hear all kinds of ideas. Pick something that you think might work for you and Zoey then stick with it for a while to see if it works. It is going to take some work - but keeping her in your bed indefinitely isn't the answer. And what if you get married - you don't want her kicked out cause of your man - that would make for a rocky start and she's resent him! :)

Love you - we shipped our dossier yesterday - woohoo.

Laurel said...

Jennifer:
Wow, Zoe has gotten so big and so BEAUTIFUL! I haven't checked your blog for a long time. I hope you both are doing well.
Laurel
www.godswaitingchildren.com