CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 08, 2007

Random Thoughts





















You know - I have been involved in the adoption world for about 3 years --- and every six months it is something different. (Now the wait in line to submit dossier, quotas on the number of adoptions per year, singles can’t adopt, and parents can’t be 45 years older than the child.) My rational thinking can't reconcile why it is so hard to adopt kids - especially when there is such a need. (this doesn't just apply to Ukraine)

I also struggle with the what ifs (what if I had come home while waiting for my appointment; what if I had my appt on Dec 27, what if etc.....) I almost told the NAC on December 30, 2005 - I would come home and wait for an appointment. I know I never would have received one if I left the country. And, I'd be caught in the singles chaos. And, I wouldn't have the most perfect child on earth! :) It saddens me because I was hoping to get a sibling for Zoey from UA - so they would have the same heritage --- but it appears if I want a sibling - I will have to go to another country.

I get so upset when reading about the quota for dossiers and everyone having to update paperwork for the 6 month rule - which will most likely time out because of the waiting game. I can't believe it has come to this. What's more - I know and have seen the conditions these kids live in and though it varies --- it is mostly the same. Lack of attention, good nutrition, stimulation, love, healthcare, etc. I know some orphanages try their best --- but with all the kids and their needs – they usually don’t get met.

I have been researching other countries for Zoey a sibling. I hope to start the process soon after my surgery. Even with that – it will probably be late 2008 or early 2009 before I bring home another child. That will be fine. I am hoping for a girl – so I can re-use Zoey’s old clothing and toys --- but I am open to a boy this time. My first country of choice will be Kazakhstan, then Russia next.

God answered so many prayers for me (Praise be to HIM) while I was waiting for Zoey. Prayers I never knew he answered until I met her. (that she be taken care, fed, loved, happy) I believe her orphanage caretakers did the best they could with what they had. So, I pray now that he is with my next child to protect them before she/he gets to their new home and family.

Zoey is thriving. She just turned 3 – and her birthday party was rained out. So, after I am back up and feeling 100% - I am going to have a little party for her. We did a family thing - but nothing fancy.

1 comments:

Calico Sky said...

Great post! I wish you success in adopting a sibling. It's funny, I want to adopt many times, but sometimes I look at what I have had to go through to get to this point, I look at the cost from my country, the beaurocracy, the countries shutting and I just hope and pray it will be possible to adopt. There is such need. I just heard in Ethiopia, where there are around 6 million children orphaned and only 732 adoptions to the US last year, they are thinking of shutting to singles, no correction it is thought by the agencies that work there that they will shut to singles in the next year...
It's interesting, when I started this journey I was so scared, I was worried about transracial adoption, I was worried about attachment etc....through it, my faith grew so much stronger. I remembered to the Lord there is no difference in color, that children who have had rocky starts in life, children who have lived in orphanages for 2, 3, 4 or 5 years to blossom with love. So it's interesting I am a whole lot less scared about transracial adoptions, attachment, health issues, special needs...but I am a whole lot more scared about countries shutting!
I guess I need to remember FAITH that it will all work out!
I hope your surgery isn't too serious?