In early October my friend Stacey from Atlanta come to visit with her daughter Emily. I went with Stacey to Ukraine last September to pick up Emily after a 30 day wait. Have you seen cuter kids anywhere else?
Mother asked that I set the record straight and let you all know that there is 2 sides to every story. Her side is "she has a life and a home with my daddy and that comes first". (my brother is a close 2nd (my words not hers)) She has graciously offered to come stay the day on Saturday and let me get my puppy to the vet and "rest" - and I accepted. She has also said she would take Zoey to her house ---- but those of you who have adopted know you just can't do that. Zoey can't handle change right now. She needs to be secure and this is where she is secure. She can't handle the separation of me or of our house. She feels most secure here and in her bed at night. When she comes back from their house, she is a terror. She screams, cries, has nightmares, won't eat, is CLINGY. She won't sleep at night. She rocks and hums. It breaks my heart to see her do this. I can't knowingly allow this when I know her reactions. So, I am trying to keep her where she is secure until she understands she is "not going back" or not going to have another change. So, whether people agree or not, I will not be as selfish to let her go away knowing the consequences.
On another note - Zoey has other issues from being institutionalized. One is not knowing how to be comforted. She can't be held or rocked. I have tried to grip her tightly to force it --- it just doesn't happen. She was never rocked or held, so she doesn't know how to be rocked or held. I try to spend 5 minutes each night before bed holding her and rocking her. She fights it though. Even when sickly and crying - she will let me hold her upright, but if I try to rock - she is having no part of it. Short of restraining - I don't know what else to do. This is her biggest challenge. Mine too - as I get frustrated with trying to keep her still or settling her down. All other areas - she seems to have adjusted fine. She is chatty cathy these days. Finally gaining weight and growing again. And, has the cutest and sweetest voice. Angel on earth.
Ukraine is moving again and people are finally getting to complete adoptions. I just hope and pray my friends in waiting are as fortunate as me! And, good luck to those about to leave for Urkaine - Christina, Amy and Kelly! I can't wait for you to get your babies and get home!
Good night to all!
3 comments:
Hey Jen! You are doing great considering! I know EXACTLY what you mean about having Zoey be watched by others. It tooks us over a year to leave our two boys for more than about 2 hours. BUT! You do need to take care of YOU - or else you might be having to have someone else care for her if you don't kick this thing! Maybe you could find a sitter for a few hours - just so you could nap - maybe during HER naptime - so that you can both be rested! Take care of yourself!
Amy (leaving in 11 days Amy!) hehe
Jen
Zoey looks so adorable as ever! I think you have it so right, you are her security and after you comes your house!
Jen,
Are you still out there???!!! I haven't seen an update in quite a while. Hope you both have a wonderful 1st Christmas together and I will talk with you later.
Lisa
Post a Comment