I worked very hard to get out a Christmas letter this year - and my printer has messed up. I put in new ink, re-adjusted alignment, etc - but nothing worked. So, I just decided to print my Christmas message on my blog. My Christmas card with Zoey's picture on it read "Home for the Holidays" - and the card had the following verse:
Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! II Corinthians 9:15
Home for the Holidays – the card says it all. As you know – I have had a BIG year. On December 25, 2006 – Zoey and I will have been home 9 months. It seems like she has been here forever. A little bit about the last 2.5 years.
On May 22, 2004 I contacted a potential adoption facilitator in Florida for information on adopting in Ukraine. (this was after months of research and deliberation about whether to even adopt as I was single) At the time, I am not sure why I felt compelled to adopt from Ukraine, but 2 years later I know why. I looked into the US, China, and Russia. I just kept going back to Ukraine. Fast forward seven months (and loads of paperwork later) my dossier was complete: the date – December 27, 2004. (all paperwork was stamped with that date then sent to Ukraine). Fast forward (another term for endless waiting) and I was registered and received an appointment date on May 13, 2005: the appointment date – December 27, 2005.
Fast forward to December 23 – and my mother and I left for Ukraine. We arrived on Christmas Eve and spent Christmas Day with an Orphanage in Kiev that I work with. It was a great way to spend the day. December 26 – I got the call – the adoption center was shutting down. I went in on the 27th and met with the director and signed an affidavit that I would wait in Ukraine until the new administration took place on January 10, 2005. HA! I will save you the details…
December 27 – February 1 – lots of endless waiting (but we met some incredible people who we now call family)
February 2 – I had an appointment – and was given a referral for Zoey (she was the only child they would let me have)
February 6 – I met Zoey. To this day – I can shut my eyes and see her coming up the stairs where we waited – I knew it was her by her eyes. The most angelic creature God had ever created. I was in tears, mom was in tears, my translator was in tears. It was
truly a moment I will never forget.
March 9 – Zoey legally became my daughter.
March 25 – We landed at DFW – home at last.
May 22 - Zoey turned 2. (this is the same day I started my adoption)
I spent 93 days in Ukraine. Of those days – approx. 50% were below zero; 80% had snow on the ground; 95% there was no sun. It was a bitter-sweet process. One that I would do again in a heartbeat.
Today – Zoey is thriving. When I met her – she did not talk. She was under-nourished. She was quite and reserved. Now, she is a typical 2 year-old. Since we have been home – she has grown 5.5 inches and put on 5 pounds. She talks non-stop. She sings non-stop. She is loving, compassionate, humorous, intelligent, strong-willed and more than I ever could have hoped for. Not that all days are rosy, we are both still learning – but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
When I look back on the last 2.5 years – I see God’s hand in this whole process. He knew where I needed to be. Everything worked out so perfectly – though at the time I could not see that. If I had my original appointment on the 27th – I never would have gotten Zoey – she did not become available until Dec.31 – then was off the registry on January 16. If the director did not force me to take Zoey’s referral – I might have chosen another child. I almost did not go to the region where Zoey was because I just knew this was not my child. But because of my mother’s encouragement, along with my new friends, I went to meet her. My life will never be same.
I’d like to take this time to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year! May your lives be as blessed as ours! I will post photos as soon as I figure out how to do it under the new blogger.
Love, Jennifer and Zoey
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
3 comments:
What a wonderful post! I hope you and Zoey had a super Christmas, it sure does seem like Christmas is an extra special time of the year for you. I had no clue you were in Ukraine for soooooo long!!!
Kate
p.s. not sure if you've been on the blog lately but I am starting my homestudy in the new year!!!
Hey there - your Christmas pic - too cute. What a difference a year makes. I am so glad that you did not give up - for Zoey's sake as well as yours - and ours as if you had given up you and Linda would not have been there to "entertain" us! Love you girl!!! XOXOX Kim
Jennifer what an awesome recap. Zoey is a cutie.
Post a Comment