CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 23, 2005

90 Days Before I Leave!!!!!!!!!!

Well - I said I wouldn't start a countdown until it hit the double digits -- well here I am!!!!!!!!! My plan is to leave on the 23 or 24th - and my appointment is on the 27th -- so 94 days until that appointment! OH people - I am going to need prayers on the 27th especially. (feel free to pray before then - but especially on the 27th). The director is a mean lady and hates Americans.

But, I digress. So, what has happened since August when I last wrote. So much. I am hating on the job. It is too high stress, long hours, interesting projects to say the least...Managing egos is a full time job there. Anyway, 90 days..........

So, what is happening? Britney had her baby! The world is complete now. (just kidding)

I went to Ukraine Sept 2 - 11. I fell in love with the country and the people. And, the kids in the orphanages. I went to 4 orphanages while there. OY! There are too many kids that need homes. I went to a baby orphanage in Donestk (near Russian border) - be still my heart. There were some of the most beautiful children there. All calling me "mama" --- of course I would love to be mama to any of them. It was also heartbreaking to see some of the kids that were sick and unhealthy. Just very sad.

I got to visit 3 orphanages in Kiev that I work with and meet the people I interact with daily. They are such awesome people. So giving. Yet, they have nothing. Needless to say, there was a 3 year old girl in one of the orphanages that I fell in love with. She was so shy - then attached to me quickly. OHHHHH - I can't get her out of my head. I have her photo but am scared to view it. It depresses me. You see, this child had red hair. Which is an oddity in Ukraine. (and a national geographic fact for you ---- only 4% of the worlds population has red hair)..... I know I have told you people how much I want a red headed child......... It kills me. And, no - I can't just go get her. (or she would be here now!) She was found on the streets looking for food - at age 3 - they found relatives who did not want her --- so she will be in orphanage. Why does God allow some people to reproduce? This baby was searching trash cans for food.

The orphanage I work with takes in kids found on the streets of Kiev. They do amazing things with these kids. They are teaching them English, how to succeed in life, and trying their best to teach them how to be loved. At the older kids orphanage - I met so many kids who just wanted a family. Some of them told me their stories - to which I cried. But, they comforted me - and kept saying it was OK. They were happy now. They would love a family - but are so happy to be off the streets. These are kids as young as 3 and old as 13. I met one girl whose parents prostituted her at 4 - then at 6 got to old and used and turned her to the streets. Another girl talked about having to sleep with grown men just for food at age 7 - 9. We have such a sick world. This girl was an artist and she showed me some of her paintings - but I couldn't buy them. She said they were her heart and soul. Those kids taught me a valuable lesson. They are happy with nothing. They live day to day - and if needs are provided for a day --- they could ask for nothing more. I realized how we all get caught up in stuff. And, how selfish I sometimes am. Worried about petty things.

The Ukraine system is so broken. I went to another orphanage that is labeled as "retarded kids" - but these kids were not retarded. They had typical delays from not having love, attention, nurturing and proper education - but they were not retarded. They were just typical kids. All 120 kids at the orphanage were adoptable, but because the orphanage is labeled as such, no one will go adopt there. Most of the kids are older there. My friend Bogdan (who is the most incredible person I have ever met) works as the director of this orphanage. He is such a champion for these kids. God bless him is all I can say.

By the way, this orphanage has never had a Christmas party - and I want more than anything to give them one this year. I am donating money - but can't foot it all. Is anyone willing to help? I estimate it will cost $500 --- for a small gift and treats and decorations. If you are able to help - email me and let me know.

I got to witness the adoption experience first hand. I got to grow me some patience. I did pretty good this visit. But, that sitting around waiting is crap! And, it was like 90+ degrees and miserable. No ACs anywhere. At night it cooled down. (too hot won't be my problem in December) But, there were times we'd have to sit outside on the curb (literally) for hours and wait for someone to sign a piece of paper.

Anyway, I am ready to go tomorrow. But, I will wait my 90 days!

I was hoping to take Russian lessons - but the class got cancelled. Then, I tried to do private lessons - but Russian is rare (so they tell me) and they wanted $100 per lesson. Never mind I took Spanish for $25 per lesson. SO, I guess I will have to resort to the CDs I bought.

That's it for this update. I am just doing my update and hoping for rain from Rita.

Jennifer

0 comments: