CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 07, 2005

August - One Month Closer

Well, a lot has been going on in casa-Hanks. Another month down, 5 more to go. (I did say I wouldn't do this didn't I?)

First and foremost, my friend in Atlanta found the most adorable 3 year old girl - she is beautiful! I am so happy for her. I also get the privilege of going with her in September to pick her up. In Ukraine, they have a law that no child can be released to adoptive parents for 30 days. But most times, the judges will waive the 30 days. This one did not -- so she had to come home without the child and go back. I am excited and nervous to go. But, bought my ticket so off I go. So, the 8 weeks of hell in Ukraine turned out to be worth it. And expensive. Anyone willing to donate to the adoption fund? : )

Next, I haven't had to travel for work in a few months! YEA! However so much has gone on and taken lots of time off....going back to work was hard. But, que sera! I get to stay in town, but have to drive an hour and 15 minutes to work - unless I leave at 6:30am/pm.

What else....Well, I had the rare privilege of visiting a group home for kids here in Dallas in July. Let's just say --- I cried when I got home. Actually, I sobbed in my car outside the children's home. You see - approximately 4 to 5 miles from my house, there are about 40 kids that need homes (aged 0 to 11). I don't know how long some of those kids have been there - but they have been abused and neglected. It kills me so much when I think about this. I am going 6,000 miles from my home to get a child, when there are so many close to home. I saw some toddlers I would take in a heartbeat. Many have asked "Why aren't you adopting kids here - so many kids here need a home" - I just want to scream "PEOPLE - FOR THE LAST TIME - I KNOW THAT. Before you ask a STUPID/ JUDGING question like that - do your research". For all of you fortunate enough to be able to have your own kids and never have to delve into the adoption world -- let me tell you -- 1) it is not easy, 2) be on your knees thanking God you were blessed with fertility. CPS is the biggest joke. And, lots of times the parents come back for the kids, and 9 times out of 10 -- a judge will award the kids to their biological parents. Even though their parental rights were terminated - mainly abuse, drugs, neglect. CPS steers you toward "fostering" - so you will take the kids in and they can rip them away in 1 to 2 years. And, as a single, they are very willing to offer me an older child with AIDS, severe emotional/physical challenges -- i.e. the kids that need most attention. Let me just say, if you are interested in how the process works - go to http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/ I made it very easy for you - just research all you like.

I have told limited people about my adoption. If you are getting this blog, it is not for you to share. I did not forget to send to anyone - I sent only to those I intended to see. The predictability in Ukraine is nonexistent - and the possibility of coming home without a child happens. I pray daily it does not happen to me --- but it could. Would I be devastated if that were to happen? YES. Would I be angry? YES. Then, the last thing I need is everyone feeling sorry for me. Hence, the limited list of those who were sent this site. The details of my adoption are private and for a few select people to view.

Oh - and while in Ukraine in September - I get to meet my facilitator - Vlad. Got lots to say to him. And, I get to meet three people - Bogdan, Kristina and Alla -- as I work with them on a daily basis for Life 2 Orphans. They are the Ukraine contacts for the 1 orphanage and 2 college programs I manage from the US. I am very excited. I can go meet everyone without the stress of the adoption. I will also be taking all my updated paperwork to Vlad - as since my appointment is a year late - I had to redo all the paperwork. You guessed - double the cost!

What else???? Oh - the employer gave all the managers Treos. You know those handy gadgets - all in one - includes a quad-band phone, keyboard, camcorder, digital camera, MP3 player, radio, etc - I thought my little quad-band Nokia with keyboad, camera was awesome. Can't wait to get mine - it is on order. How cool will this little device be in Ukraine? A camcorder the size of a cell phone??? What an awesome perk!!!!

Ok - that might be the August update. I am still healing from surgery. Silly me, I thought it would only take a couple of weeks - here I am 5 weeks out and still sore and in pain. I thought when they removed organs there was nothing to be in pain anymore.......I guess I thought wrong.

Anyways - Happy August to you all. Please keep me and my adoption in your prayers and that there is a healthy little girl under 3 just waiting for me to pick her up on December 27.

Jennifer

0 comments: