CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September Bliss


Well, summer is about gone. In Texas, that is typically about December weatherwise, but on the calendar, that would be Sept. 21. I will actually say with all the hurricanes we've had -- the weather has cooled down a bit.

All is well in the Hanks household. Jasmin has been here about a month. She is really a good girl - except she doesn't like kids. So, her interaction with Zoey is nil. Which makes for a not so good situation. We are working on this relationship. I hope it gets better. Zoey doesn't understand and just wants her to pay her some attention. Meanwhile, we have gone to the rodeo, bowling, meeting new friends, etc. So, the last month or so has been activity filled.

I can't seem to find a job I like or that doesn't have low to no travel. So, I have decided to venture out into the self-emplyment world. I prayed hard about this --- and it seems to be the door that God is opening wide. So, I will walk through it - while still looking for a full-time position. I am working through 2 different consulting firms. Basically they send a work order with what the job is and how much it pays. Then I do the work. They get a cut and I get a cut. The downside is lack of benefits - so no medical/dental, sick/vacation/holiday pay, disability, etc. But, the hourly rates are higher than I'd get for full-time employment. And, when they don't have work - neither do I. But, since I don't work for them - I can find other things to tide me over if I want. My plan is to save every penny I can for the times there might not be work. This option of work also provides the greatest flexibility. So, I am not locked down 8 to 6 each day - worrying about picking up Zoey. Who knows? It might work out and I do it long term. Keep me in your prayers.
Not much else is going on. We are gearing up for the State Fair. Starts in 2 weeks. Then Halloween. Which I have been informed that Zoey wants to be a princess - "cause I am a princess". So, be looking out for Halloween photos. Happy Autumn.

6 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

I hope you aren't too close to the hurricane. The news about what's coming is unbelievable.

I think you'll love the consulting. I've been self-employed, working from home as a marketing consultant for the past 5years. It's been great as far as having flexibility and more time with my kids, and I've been able to make a decent income. You're smart to plan for the slow months, because they do happen, but it all evens out.

We'll be praying for you as your fall continues to unfold.
Kathy

Amy said...

Hi Jenn and Zoey!
It took me a day or two to actually see where to leave my comment! The type was really light - or I'm just going blind..(probably the second one!)
I hope that Ike is not too close to you - yuck!
My good friend works for the Red Cross and they sent her down around Dallas to help with evacuations, etc... ugh!
Hopefully things will go better with your exchange student... Who couldn't warm up to zoey?????
Good luck with the job hunt... what a pain huh?

Take care!
Amy

adoptedthree said...

Hey Jenn
I dont know what it is but Zoey and her smirck make her and Oksana up to no good buddies! We have got to get them together!
zoey is getting so big!

Good luck with the job search. Travel may be hard but it does have its "airline" perks :)

Leanna

Kimbell and Mark said...

oh my my!! She is her mother's daughter - SASSY!!!! She is so adorable. I love watching the pics of her grow - can't wait to see her in person again!!!! Love you!

Jill said...

Zoey is so beautiful!

I hope you guys weren't affected by the hurricane. I had a feeling you weren't anywhere near the coast.

junglemama said...

I hope you find the perfect job. Zoey is adorable!