CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Lazy Days of June

Not much is happening in June....well, I am sitting around waiting on the people who submitted an offer on my house to decide if they like the counter-offer. I am guessing since it has been 3 days, they don't much like it. I love my house, and it pains me to sell it --- but I need more room. What - with all my stuff, a dog and a kid. I need my space! : ) Anyway, my realtor decided to do an "open house" today, but nobody showed up. He forgot it was Father's day. Oh well....

As you all can see I am trying to play with this blog thing to learn how to post pictures. I posted one I took this week in St. John, and one from India in January. Do you all want to hear again how awesome India is? What a cool place. If you ever get the chance to go -- GO. You will never forget the place. It has been months since I have been back -- and I miss it at times. Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments. The poverty wore on me quick. I have never in my entire life experienced something so life changing. I have never seen poverty or such horrible social injustices any where else in the world.

I actually took 7 days off of work. That is a first in a long time! But, I got the ole use it or lose it memo (vacation days) -- and they decided I could not carry it over to the next year (that being the work year - so as of 9/30) I still have 5 more days to use before then, so I guess I will just have to plan on going somewhere cool. On my list --- Thailand. I hope I can find an airfare cheap enough to go -- as I was heartbroken at not being able to go in May because of the wreck.

Speaking of which, I am on the mend. Had an MRI (I will get back to that in a minute) and it came out all clear. I will still be having surgery on July 1 (just in time to ruin my 4th of July weekend)....Wish someone would have told me about the MRI -- oh my gosh -- I cried like a baby. The guy thought they'd have to restrain me -- I kept hitting the panic button telling the guy the table was moving in closer and was about to have my head in the tube --- he kept telling me the table was not moving...whatever. I am way clausterphobic.

I went to St. John for a week this past week. Found a cheap airfare, used hotel points, and got myself a cheap vacation and a sunburn from hell. I did nothing but go from my room to the beach every day. It was nice, but now back to reality.

While I was gone, a lot happened in Ukraine. Since they got a new President in January, he is making a lot of changes. So, as of June 15, they will not accept dossiers (paperwork to request a child) for 2 months. I am told this will not affect me since I have been approved and have a date. But, Ukraine (UA) is trying to make things better for the orphans -- and they think a "foster care system" like the US will be great. (is anyone laughing yet?) One thing they are tossing around is for people who take kids in UA (adopt them) they will give them a monthly payment for their care.....great. We all know how this works, the people take the money and don't care for the kids. Especially in a country where the average annual per capita is the equivalent of $2460. Also, children will now be offered to UA families first -- not a big change there. There seems to be a stigma that the kids in the orphanges are "untouchables" of sorts. Anyway, the goal of the new system is to keep as many kids in UA as possible before they are offered to foreigners. Ho-hum --- let's see how much this changes before I actually go in December. Provided that does not change.

My friend Stacey Parker left today (she lives in Atlanta) for UA. She is hoping to adopt a toddler girl. Her appointment is on June 22. We have been counting down the days since she got her notice in late January. For those of you who pray, if you can say a little prayer for her on Tuesday night -- that would be awesome.

On a much more side note, I just slammed my ankle into the side of my desk and am in excrutiating pain. So, I will stop here now. I won't even bore you with the countdown number of days until it is at least double digits! : )
Happy Fourth of July to all.

0 comments: