The day started like any other. Except this morning it was rise and shine at 7am. I was already up since I really couldn’t sleep that night. Lyuba (my translator) had left to go get the city inspector to sign the papers so we could enter the orphanage. She said she’d be back “soon”. I showered, and then went to find breakfast for mother and me. It was minus 18 degrees that morning – so cold, yet I don’t remember feeling the weather. I was numb from the “what ifs” and unknowns about the child I was to meet. My nerves were shot. I was worn out from all the waiting. The whole process up to this point had weighed me down. I didn’t know how much more I could take. (little did I know) I went to a store we had found the day before – but they were not open. I looked for anything to be open – but at 8:00am not much was open. I took a different route back to the apartment – and found some street vendors selling breakfast items and wound up getting some pastries. Which were very tasty.
Mother and I ate – then we watched BBC. Nothing earth shattering – the minors in WV were still being analyzed as to what happened. So, we just waited and waited and waited. Played some solitaire and waited some more.
About a little after 9:00 am – Lyuba came back and said we would need to do a little “negotiating” to get a signature today – versus next week. So, we all loaded up and went to get the paper signed. It took 5 minutes. Then, we were off to the district inspector near the orphanage so he could approve us to enter the orphanage. (at a higher negotiating fee – I might add) Fast forward through the muck of negotiations – and we were allowed to go to the orphanage – which was less than a mile from there.
I remember driving up thinking how drab. It looks somber. Then I saw some little play areas and statues – that brightened up the place. None of it really mattered. All I could think about was the child I was about to meet – and all the time I had waited – how she was a child who needed a home – how I was a mother who needed a child. How God had brought me here – to this child. How I would react if she wasn’t what I “expected”. How selfish I was. How long this day was. It was now about 11:15. The car stopped. So did my heart. Lyuba turned around and sternly said “come on”.
We entered the orphanage – more drabness. Lyuba asked where the director’s office was and we followed a lady to the office. It was upstairs and there were two chairs in a waiting area – so mom and I sat down. Lyuba talked with the director – told her we were there to see a child. She then came back and waited a bit with us – then was called back to the director’s office. Mom and I started seeing kids come by, screaming, laughing etc. Here is the conversation:
Mom: That’s her.
Jennifer: No, that’s not her.
Mom: That’s her.
Jennifer: No, that’s a boy.
Mom: I know that’s her.
Jennifer: That child has blonde hair and blue eyes.
Mom: Maybe her hair got lighter.
Jennifer: “eyes rolling”
More minutes passed. It seemed like an eternity. Then, I see a lady in a white robe (orphanage doctor) walk up the stairs. She is holding a baby – who looks kind of scared. But me? I get the biggest lump in my throat, I let out a gulp and burst into tears. Her referral photo was not much to look at – but her eyes were the dead give-away. I knew that was my child. Linda heard me and started crying too. Lyuba ran out and said that was my baby. And, she had tears in her eyes. I stood up – and walked toward the director’s office – then she summoned me to come in. I just could not take my eyes off of Zoey. The doctor asked would I like to hold her. OF COURSE! Zoey came to me easily – didn’t cry – just sat on my lap. I gave her some apple juice and a cookie. She ate them so fast – mom and I were startled at how fast she consumed them – then was looking for more.
Since we got there so late – it was nearing lunch and naptime. But, they told me I could come back that afternoon. We left the orphanage – went to find a nearby apartment. I told Lyuba immediately – start the paperwork. I knew this was my child.
It has been a year to the day since I met Zoey. Time has flown by. Yet I can remember every day of the 93 I spent in Ukraine waiting and trying to get my baby home. Yes, there were days I slept 20 hours – but I remember everything that happened in my sleep.
I would also like to say Congratulations to the McCues ---- as I was going through my first day with Zoey – they were going through the same thing with their daughter Rachel. They had different circumstances – but they had their own set of nerve racking things to deal with. We both came home with incredible baby girls.
What a year. What a blessing. Thank you God for bringing this child into my family’s lives.
NOT THAT SAME GIRL...
13 years ago
3 comments:
Wow! My Friend, it is so hard to believe that all of that occurred a YEAR ago! I remember reading all the hellious emails and following your blog and then seeing the first picture of Zoey that you posted! She is truly a gift - and you are VERY blessed!
Amy
That is a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing truly beautiful!
Precious
Love reading your updates!
Post a Comment